Tuesday, September 29, 2009

TWD - Chocolate Crunch Caramel Tart



I really think Dorie Greenspan's Baking from My Home to Yours is an excellent primer for any baker as she really covers the gambit of home baking.  And I would never doubt her recipes.  If Dorie calls for 12 pounds of butter, I put in 12 pounds of butter (okay we haven't done a recipe with THAT much butter, but I trust her - my hips can't get bigger all by themselves).  But when I read "put 3 tablespoons of sugar over medium heat and when it melts, stir in more", well, I had to go to the internet to understand how and why sugar melts on the skillet ALL BY ITSELF.  I've made almost every cake imaginable, cookies till I see them in my sleep, a healthy number of pies, brownies and anything with chocolate in it.  But I never knew that you could melt sugar with little more than a non stick skillet and heat.  Sorry Dorie, I will never doubt you again.


This tart is the kind of tart you want to make for a special dinner.  Your guests will be all "You MADE this" and you will say, "oh yes - do you like it?  Cause I wasn't sure if you would want pecans (I did) or honey roasted nuts (will try next time)."  And they will forget polite dessert conversation about healthcare, Gossip Girl or if the Knicks really think Lebron James is coming to NY.  And ask questions like, how did you get this chocolate so smooth?  Did this take you all day?  Perhaps you could add more nuts next time?  I would have thought you purchased this at the fancy bakery down the street until I saw your crust (yeah... mine, kind of fell down the sides when blind baking - oh wells).


I will definitely make this again (maybe as mini tarts).  This week's recipe was chosen by Carla of Chocolate Moosey.  To see the recipe, visit her blog and then see how other bakers fared.

11 comments:

  1. My guests loved this. Your tart looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My crust is a bit crumbly, but I didn't let that get in my way! :D Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are right, this is a pretty special tart - some tricky components to it, but yours looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tart looks great! Baking is such a wonderful cookbook, it really teaches you how to make things, not just provide recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful. i was a bit doubtful that sugar could melt on its own BUT it did. like magic :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your ganache is so smooth and silky! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute post. The tart looks wonderful. I'm wanting another piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for stopping by! :) I am glad you didn't think my photo was yuck. :p
    I am glad yours turned out so well! Mini tarts would be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. mini tarts would be great with this recipe. This one was a hit!

    ReplyDelete