Sunday, November 8, 2009

Why Don't I like Blondies?


This afternoon I was watching an episode of Everyday Baking and saw a fast, easy, good looking recipe for Blondies.  I've never been a fan of Blondies but I can't honestly remember eating them.  And it basically looks like a chocolate chip cookie so what could go wrong?  So I hopped off the couch and with notebook and pen at hand wrote down all the directions.

While the Blondies are not bad, they are denser than I like.  I can almost taste the butter in an oily kind of way.  Maybe it was because I didn't add baking soda?  Maybe it is just a personal taste?

Update - Blondies were a hit with the family so I guess it is just me.  Enjoy!  =)

I'm going to share the recipe with you because it is the kind of recipe you can make during the week for a last minute dessert.  Don't you feel so efficient when you pop a baked good in the oven while you are eating dinner so that it is nice and hot when its time for dessert?  This is also a great recipe to make with kids.  You just need one bowl and no mixer.  Plus, I fiinally tried baking bar cookies/ brownies with parchment at the bottom for easy lifting out of the pan to cut into squares.  I don't know why I haven't tried this sooner.



Blondies
Slightly adapted from Everyday Baking (part of Everyday Food)

1 stick melted butter
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
1/2 cup walnuts (recipe called for 1 cup)
1 cup chocolate chip morsels

Grease 8x8 inch pan and then line with parchment paper so that paper comes up the side.  Once baked you will be able to easily lift Blondies out of the pan and set on counter for easy cutting.
Whisk melted butter, sugar, brown sugar, egg, vanilla and salt until well blended and no lumps.
Add flour and stir with spatula until 95% incorporated
Add 1/2 cup walnuts and 1/2 cup chocolate chips and stir
Put batter in greased pan
Top with remaining chocolate chips (and walnuts if you are making them with 1 cup walnuts)
Bake for 350 degrees for 40 minutes (mine took 35).
Cool on wire rack.  When cool, remove cookies from pan and cut into squares.

Do you have a better Blondie recipe that I can try?

No comments:

Post a Comment